Job Title: Traveling MEP Technical Coordinator.
Type of Employment: 1099 contract with the opportunity to convert to a W-2 permanent employee.
Duration: The initial contract will be for 12 months with the opportunity to extend or convert to a W-2 permanent employee.
Work Schedule: Candidates will work 3 weeks onsite and 1 week remote. 40 hours is guaranteed.
Locations: Our projects are nationwide, so candidates need to be flexible and willing to work in various states to support our customer. Candidates typically work at one location for several weeks or months before moving to another site. Possible locations include Virginia, Texas, Arizona, Washington State, Iowa, etc.
Compensation: $55 - $60/hr., time and half for overtime, up to $70 day per diem (receipts required), $60 monthly cell phone allowance, a company laptop will be provided. Candidates will book their own flight, rental car, and hotel but be reimbursed weekly for these expenses.
Our client is a leader in the design, build and construction of mission critical data centers as well as the installation of equipment. Their Data Center Solutions/Secure Power Division has some large contracts in progress as well as some about to kickoff and some in the pipeline. From a corporate perspective our client as put a freeze on headcount (full time hires) but needs contractors to support its current projects. These contractors will come on for 12 months initially but could be on various projects for upwards of 2+ years.
Our client sold $500m of UPS and Switchgear to Microsoft for use in their datacenters in 2020, $500m in 2021, and over $500m for 2022. This is for multiple locations and possible locations include Quincy/Wenatchee WA, northern & southern VA, Phoenix AZ, Chicago IL, Cheyenne WY, etc. Each location usually lasts at least 4 months and often times 6 – 10 months depending on the quantity of switchgear and UPS per location.
This position will be an onsite role, and you will be the only company representative on site during the equipment commissioning/installation. You will be technically coordinating the installation of the UPS and switchgear. You will be the company’s eyes and ears. You will work with the electrical sub-contractor and answer questions. You will coordinate site arrival, rigging and placement. You will investigate issues, negotiate with the subs as needed and coordinate. You will call "foul" when things are not right and be "Jonny on the spot" for technical resolution. The goal is for them to cut down on our client’s service calls as well as the load on the project PM. You will sit in many of the onsite meetings and communicate appropriately back to our client.
You need to have a strong background with SITE work. You must have the confidence to be stand up for the company when needed, figure out how to fix things - have "been there done that" track record onsite. Lots of electrical site work but also foreman/PM experience. You need to know your way around switchgear and UPS well. Must have some mission critical system experience. Must be credible, confident, organized, and above all a good communicator.
Our client would like to hire for a 12-month contract, and it could go 2-3 years. Would consider a 6-month contract if that is what the candidate desires but prefer 12. You typically will work 3 weeks onsite and 1 week from home. 40-hour weeks - will be some OT but not sure how much OT until onsite.
MEP TECHINCAL COORDINATOR (MEP)
The MEP Technical Coordinator is responsible for working with the customer as equipment (UPS and Switchgear) is being installed at the customer. He or she shall thoroughly understand the design documents, specifications, references, and owner project requirements. The MEP Technical Coordinator’s role includes coordinating the owner’s project requirements (OPR) with the onsite activities to ensure compliance and work with the commissioning authority or the owner designated representative along with the Project Team. They will be the sole onsite representative of the client onsite and with a roughly 60/40 technical/coordination split.
- Review Contract Documents, making suggestions/modifications as they relate to the MEP trades and approved construction drawings for compliance to the Owner’s Project Requirements (OPR) and the Basis of Design (BOD).
- Review and coordinate submittals and shop drawings for compliance to the OPR and BOD.
- Review and comment on material and equipment for MEP systems prior to installation for compliance to the OPR and BOD.
- Coordinate site arrival, rigging, placement of UPS and Switch Gear equipment.
- Monitor the installation and start-up of MEP systems and commissioning of project with Engineer of Record (EOR) & Owner
- Inspect MEP installation during construction for compliance.
- Review Coordination and Arc Flash studies for compliance.
- Review and provide field verification of torque and megger reports provided by trades for compliance.
- Lead and direct the coordination process to resolve all conflicts during installations, start-up, and commissioning.
General duties also include:
- Assist as needed to represent client regarding the MEP process in any required onsite contractor meetings, sometimes daily.
- Work with all electrical contractors and other subcontractors for compliance.
- Work on project logistics and temporary facility plans in preparation for commissioning activities.
- Monitor and work with facility datacenter commissioning system (Compass) to ensure proper documentation of project activities.
- Investigate issues, negotiate, and find solutions, communicate appropriately.
- Experience as an electrical foreman, master electrician, or QA/QC electrician with experience on mission critical electrical systems experience including Switchgear, Generators, ATS, UPS systems, PDUs.
- Experience as mechanical engineer; mechanical foreman or PM or QA/QC mechanical technician) with experience on mission critical mechanical systema including chillers, chilled water piping, VAVs, CRAHs, AHUs etc.
- Organizational skills
- Project Management Skills (PMP a plus)
- Mission Critical commissioning experience
- Experience as a commissioning agent
- Electricians with experience working with the commissioning team.
- Team Leader