Position Description: Overall responsibility for the preconstruction process from project inception through start of construction
Reports to: General Manager or Regional Preconstruction Manager. May have a team of 2-5 reporting to this role.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for all preconstruction deliverables, including but not limited to, Guaranteed Maximum Price and Lump Sum bids.
- Collaborate with Operations on the Project Schedule, Logistics, Safety, Constructability Reviews, general conditions and General Requirements.
- Develop, review and approve Assumptions and Clarifications.
- Develop and enhance client, developer, architect, engineer and subcontractor relationships.
- Coordinate with procurement functions as they relate to the preconstruction phase of project.
- Lead, develop and manage preconstruction staff, including completing performance evaluations.
- Develop and monitor the preconstruction budget for the project, with a focus on preconstruction recoveries, including invoicing, and provide financial updates monthly or as frequently as necessary.
- Leads meetings with the owner, architect, and engineer for all aspects of the preconstruction phase of the project.
- Ensure that appropriate Quality Assurance/Quality Control processes are established and included in the scope and estimate.
- In collaboration with Operations, look for opportunities to drive improvement within the process by using Virtual Design and Construction (VDC), Integrated Project Delivery (IPD) and any other process enhancements.
- Participate and contribute to the Launch Matrix for each milestone.
- Participate and contribute to Constructability Reviews for milestone estimates per the Launch Matrix.
- Coordinate with Operations Lead to support preparation, scheduling, evaluating, executing and managing the Launch Matrix and Launch Matrix meetings for each estimate milestone.
- Coordinate with Lean Manager to develop and execute Pull Plans for design, estimate and GMP schedules.
- Provide input to constructability reviews and coordinate with the Operations Lead to ensure the constructability reviews are completed in a timely manner and incorporated into the milestone estimates, to the extent required by contract.
- Prepare comparison analysis to previous estimate and develop a clear and concise message to explain the variances for each of the project stakeholders.
- Generate, coordinate and manage Budget Control Reports between each milestone estimate to manage cost events and value engineering opportunities. Provide variance reports for each milestone estimate to communicate scope development.
- Lead the Target Value Design process as appropriate for select projects.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with at least two years of formal engineering or architectural training, and at least 8 years of building construction experience required, or equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience.
- Experience with a variety of building construction types is desirable. Knowledge of accounting. Knowledge of estimating, construction costs, scheduling, purchasing, and engineering principles and techniques, various construction methods and installation procedures; and a general understanding of the operation of various building systems.
- Strong computer skills and a familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite of programs.
- Knowledge of Project Management and scheduling software desirable.
- Ability to implement leading-edge technologies such as Building Information Models (BIM) and Lean to benefit the project.
- Demonstrated ability to thoroughly understand drawings and specifications, general contract and subcontract documents, materials, means and methods.
- Very strong verbal and written communication skills required.
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills.
Physical Demands: Performance of the required duties will require physical ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, passenger use of construction personnel hoists, ability to climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Performing this job requires use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, sit, talk and hear, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works on-site at the construction work site where the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts; high precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise in these work environments is usually moderate to very loud.
*May perform other duties as assigned. Where applicable, all activities will include disabled and veterans’ organizations.